Sunday, March 30, 2014

How Heavy is the Baggage You Are Carrying?


        Why do we really hang on to things? Why do we spend our lives buying and storing unnecessary baggage? Is it to impress others or is it to make ourselves happy, fulfilled, and accomplished? All of these questions lead to one important realization: we basically buy things  because they are constantly advertised and are dangled in front of our eyes and make us feel a less of a human being if we did not own the newest and the best models of everything.  In my case, it is a combination of two things: impulsive buying and also buying things to explore new hobbies. When I took an inventory of my house, I discovered many hobbies that became obsolete in my life. Roller skates, roller blades, basketballs, bowling shoes, volleyballs, riding boots, ballet shoes, the flute. Every single one of these items had taken the center stage in my life at one point or another. And now, they are sitting in the attic, collecting dust to no end. Then, I came across a lot of items that have been made antiquated  by technological advancements, such as Nintendo DS, DVDs and CDs that are no longer relevant. All I need to replace these items is a tablet or a laptop, through which,  I can easily watch movies, play games, listen to music, and many more. The next time I purchase a new gadget in my life, I am going to have to find out the real reason why I am buying it.

4 comments:

  1. Jacqueline makes an interesting point when asking why we buy certain things. She asks if it is impress someone or to keep us happy. There is no right answer to this question because both answers could be correct. I can relate to Jacqueline when it comes to buying things I am interested in at the moment, but then never using it once the phase is over. This blog post is extremely relatable, fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacqueline has written a phenomenal blog post. First, she has organized her short paragraph of around 200 words in a neat manner. She begins with a solid introduction, deliberating the topic she will be discussing as well as ends with a creative challenge. She has also used rhetorical strategies learned throughout the year. These strategies include rhetorical questions, in the beginning and asyndeton towards the middle of the text. Wonderful job, keep up the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely loved Jacqueline's perspective upon the extra baggage we all possess. Many say it comes from materialism, but sometimes the excessive items we buy purely comes from the desire to 'explore' new hobbies. Her list of the objects in her attic very much ressembles mine as well. Therefore, I related to Jacqueline's point without a second thought. This blog will now have me double think before I purchase something - Why am I really buying this? Outstanding work, keep it up girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacqueline is absolutely correct! The reason people seem to collect a variety of goods and items is because it is constantly flaunted before our eyes for the intentions of attraction. After these numerous items are purchased people become stuck on the idea that at one point or another they will come to good use. After months or even years of inactivity these goods just become a waste of space, and nothing more.

    ReplyDelete